Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Devotional Writings from Frances Havergal and Fanny Crosby

Devotional writings from Frances Havergal and Fanny Crosby

“Lord, Speak to Me” (Havergal)

Lord, speak to me that I may speak in living echoes of Thy tone;
As Thou has sought, so let me seek Thine erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead the wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed Thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that while I stand firm on the rock, and strong in Thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand to wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach the precious things Thou dost impart;
And wing my words, that they may reach the hidden depths of many a heart.

O give Thine own sweet rest to me, that I may speak with soothing power
A word in season, as from Thee, to weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with Thy fullness, Lord, until my very heart overflow
In kindling thought and glowing word, Thy love to tell, Thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me, just as Thou wilt, and when, and where,
Until Thy blessèd face I see, Thy rest, Thy joy, Thy glory share.

Master, Speak, Thy Servant Heareth (Havergal)

Master, speak! Thy servant heareth, waiting for Thy gracious word,
Longing for Thy voice that cheereth; Master! let it now be heard.
I am listening, Lord, for Thee: What hast Thou to say to me?

Speak to me by name, O Master, let me know it is to me;
Speak, that I may follow faster, with a step more firm and free,
Where the Shepherd leads the flock, in the shadow of the rock.

Master, speak! Though least and lowest, let me not unheard depart;
Master, speak! For O, Thou knowest all the yearning of my heart,
Knowest all its truest need: Speak! and make me blest indeed.

Master, speak! and make me ready, when Thy voice is truly heard,
With obedience glad and steady still to follow every word.I am listening,
Lord, for Thee: Master, speak! O, speak to me!

“I Am Trusting Thee, Lord Jesus” (Havergal)

I am trusting Thee, Lord, Jesus, trusting only Thee;
Trusting Thee for full salvation, great and free.

I am trusting Thee for pardon; at Thy feet I bow;
For Thy grace and tender mercy, trusting now.

I am trusting Thee for cleansing in the crimson flood;
Trusting Thee to make me holy by Thy blood.

I am trusting Thee to guide me; Thou alone shalt lead;
Every day and hour supplying all my need.

I am trusting Thee for power, Thine can never fail;
Words which Thou Thyself shalt give me must prevail.

I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus; never let me fall;
I am trusting Thee forever, and for all.

True-Hearted, Whole-Hearted (Havergal, 2 verses deleted)
Truehearted, wholehearted, faithful and loyal,
King of our lives, by Thy grace we will be;
Under the standard exalted and royal,
Strong in Thy strength we will battle for Thee.

Refrain: Peal out the watchword! Silence it never!
Song of our spirits, rejoicing and free;
Peal out the watchword! Loyal forever!
King of our lives, by Thy grace we will be.

Wholehearted! Savior belovèd and glorious,
Take Thy great power and reign Thou alone,
Over our wills and affections victorious—
Freely surrendered and wholly Thine own. Refrain

Truehearted, wholehearted! Fullest allegiance
Yielding henceforth to our glorious King!
Valiant endeavor and loving obedience,
Freely and joyously, now would we bring. Refrain

Truehearted! Savior, Thou knowest our story,
Weak are the hearts that we lay at Thy feet,
Sinful and treacherous! yet, for Thy glory,
Heal them, and cleanse them from sin and deceit. Refrain

Half-hearted, false-hearted! Heed we the warning!
Only the whole can be perfectly true;
Bring the whole offering, all timid thought scorning,
Truehearted only if whole-hearted too. Refrain

Half-hearted! Savior, shall aught be withholden,
Giving Thee part Who has given us all?
Blessings outpouring, and promises golden
Pledging, with never reserve or recall! Refrain

Half-hearted? Master, shall any who know Thee
Grudge Thee their lives, who has laid down Thine own?
Nay! we would offer the hearts that we owe Thee,
Live for Thy love and Thy glory alone. Refrain

Who Is on the Lord’s Side? (Havergal, one verse deleted)
Who is on the Lord’s side? Who will serve the King?
Who will be His helpers, other lives to bring?
Who will leave the world’s side? Who will face the foe?
Who is on the Lord’s side? Who for Him will go?
By Thy call of mercy, by Thy grace divine,
We are on the Lord’s side—Savior, we are Thine!

Not for weight of glory, nor for crown and palm,
Enter we the army, raise the warrior psalm;
But for love that claimeth lives for whom He died:
He whom Jesus nameth must be on His side.
By Thy love constraining, by Thy grace divine,
We are on the Lord’s side—Savior, we are Thine!

Jesus, Thou hast bought us, not with gold or gem,
But with Thine own life blood, for Thy diadem;
With Thy blessing filling each who comes to Thee,
Thou hast made us willing, Thou hast made us free.
By Thy grand redemption, by Thy grace divine,
We are on the Lord’s side—Savior, we are Thine!

Fierce may be the conflict, strong may be the foe,
But the King’s own army none can overthrow;
’Round His standard ranging, victory is secure,
For His truth unchanging makes the triumph sure.
Joyfully enlisting, by Thy grace divine,
We are on the Lord’s side—Savior, we are Thine!

“I Gave My Life for Thee” (Havergal)

I gave My life for thee, my precious blood I shed,
That thou might'st ransomed be and quickened from the dead.
I gave, I gave My life for thee; what hast thou given for Me? (repeat)

I spent long years for thee in weariness and woe
That an eternity of joy thou mightest know.
I spent, I spent long years for thee; hast thou spent one for Me? (repeat)

My Father's home of light, My rainbow-circled throne,
I left for earthly night, for wanderings sad and lone.
I left, I left it all for thee; hast thou left aught for Me? (repeat)

I suffered much for thee, more than My tongue may tell,
Of bitterest agony, to rescue thee from hell.
I suffered, suffered much for thee; what canst thou bear for Me? (repeat)

And I have brought to thee down, from My home above,
Salvation full and free, My pardon and My love.
Great gifts, great gifts, I brought to thee; what hast thou brought to Me? (repeat)

Oh, let thy life be given, thy years for Me be spent,
World's fetters all be riven, and joy with suffering blent!
I gave, I gave Myself for thee: Give thou thyself to Me. (repeat)

Savior, More Than Life to Me (Crosby)

Savior, more than life to me, I am clinging, clinging, close to Thee;
Let Thy precious blood applied, Keep me ever, ever near Thy side.
Refrain: Every day, every hour, Let me feel Thy cleansing power;
May Thy tender love to me bind me closer, closer, Lord to Thee.

Through this changing world below, lead me gently, gently as I go;
Trusting Thee, I cannot stray, I can never, never lose my way. Refrain

Let me love Thee more and more, till this fleeting, fleeting life is o’er;
Till my soul is lost in love, in a brighter, brighter world above. Refrain

My Savior First of All (Crosby)

When my life work is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glorious morning I shall see;
I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,
And His smile will be the first to welcome me.

Refrain:
I shall know Him, I shall know Him, and redeemed by His side I shall stand,
I shall know Him, I shall know Him, by the print of the nails in His hand.

Oh, the soul thrilling rapture when I view His blessèd face,
And the luster of His kindly beaming eye;
How my full heart will praise Him for the mercy, love and grace,
That prepare for me a mansion in the sky. Refrain

Oh, the dear ones in glory, how they beckon me to come,
And our parting at the river I recall;
To the sweet vales of Eden they will sing my welcome home;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all. Refrain

Through the gates to the city in a robe of spotless white,
He will lead me where no tears will ever fall;
In the glad song of ages I shall mingle with delight;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all. Refrain

Poem by Frances Havergal, England, sent to Fanny Crosby, America, 1872

Sweet blind singer over the sea, tuneful and jubilant, how can it be
That the songs of gladness, which float so far, as if they fall from an evening star,
Are the notes of one who may never see visible music of flower and tree?

Purple of mountain or glitter of snow, ruby and gold of the sunset glow?
Never the ken of mortal eye could pierce so deep and far and high
As the eagle vision of hearts that dwell in the lofty, sunlit citadel
Of faith that overcomes the world with banners of hope and joy unfurled,
Garrisoned with God's perfect peace, ringing with paeans that never cease,
Flooded with splendors bright and broad--The glorious light of the Love of God!
Must not the world be a desolate place for eyes that are sealed with the seal of years,
Eyes that are open only for tears?
How can she sing in the dark like this? What is her fountain of light and bliss?

O, her heart can see, her heart can see! And its sight is strong, and swift and free;
Never the ken of mortal eye could pierce so deep, and far, and high
As the eagle vision of hearts that dwell in the lofty, sunlit citadel
Of Faith that overcomes the world with banners of Hope and Joy unfurled,
Garrisoned with God’s perfect Peace, singing with paeans that never cease,
Flooded with splendor bright and broad, the glorious light of the Love of God.

Her heart can see, her heart can see! Well may she sing so joyously!
For the King Himself, in His tender grace, hath shown her the brightness of His face;
And who shall pine for a glowworm light when the sun goes forth in His radiant might?
She can read His law, as a shining chart, for His finger hath written it on her heart;
She can read His love, for on all her way His hand is writing it every day

Her heart can see! her heart can see, beyond the glooms and the mystery,
Glimpses of glory not far away, golden crystal and emerald bow,
Luster of pearl and sapphire glow, sparkling river and healing tree,
Evergreen palms of victory, harp and crown and raiment white,
Holy and beautiful dwellers in light, a throne, and One thereon,
Whose face is the glory of that glorious place.

Dear blind sister over the sea, an English heart goes forth to thee.
We are linked by a cable of faith and song, flashing bright sympathy swift along;
One in the East and one in the West, singing for Him whom our souls love best,
“Singing for Jesus,” telling His love, all the way to our home above.
Where the severing sea, with its restless tide, never shall hinder, and never divide.
Sister! what will our meeting be, when our hearts shall sing and our eyes shall see!



READ FRANCES HAVERGAL’S KEPT FOR THE MASTER’S USE ONLINE:
http://www.archive.org/stream/keptformastersus00haverich#page/n5/mode/2up

No comments:

Post a Comment