Thursday, July 16, 2009

James Montgomery and Charlotte Elliott Hymns

James Montgomery's most widely printed hymns are, "Angels from the Realms of Glory" and "Stand Up and Bless the Lord." Charlotte Elliott's most widely printed hymn is "Just As I Am." Here are some others that may assist in your devotional life.


Songs of Praise the Angels Sang (Montgomery)

Songs of praise the angels sang, heav’n with alleluias rang,
When creation was begun, when God spoke and it was done.

Songs of praise awoke the morn when the Prince of Peace was born;
Songs of praise arose when He captive led captivity.

Heav’n and earth must pass away! Songs of praise shall crown that day!
God will make new heav’ns and earth; songs of praise shall hail their birth.

And can man alone be dumb, till that glorious kingdom come?
No: the church delights to raise psalms, and hymns, and songs of praise.

Saints below, with heart and voice, still in songs of praise rejoice,
Learning here, by faith and love, songs of praise to sing above.

Borne upon their latest breath, songs of praise shall conquer death;
Then amidst eternal joy, songs of praise their powers employ.

Hymns of glory, songs of praise, Father, unto Thee we raise;
Jesus, glory unto Thee, with the Spirit, ever be.

Come, Let Us Sing the Song of Songs (Montgomery, based on Revelation 5)

Come, let us sing the song of songs—the angels first began the strain—
The homage which to Christ belongs, “Worthy the Lamb, for He was slain!”

Slain to redeem us by His blood, to cleanse from every sinful stain,
And make us kings and priests to God, “Worthy the Lamb, for He was slain!”

To Him who suffered on the tree, our souls, at His soul’s price, to gain,
Blessing, and praise, and glory be, “Worthy the Lamb, for He was slain!”

To Him, enthroned by filial right, all power in Heaven and earth proclaim,
Honor, and majesty, and might, “Worthy the Lamb, for He was slain!”

Long as we live, and when we die, and while in Heaven with Him we reign,
This song our song of songs shall be, “Worthy the Lamb, for He was slain!”

Go to Dark Gethsemane (Montgomery)

Go to dark Gethsemane, ye that feel the tempter’s power;
Your Redeemer’s conflict see, watch with Him one bitter hour,
Turn not from His griefs away; learn of Jesus Christ to pray.

See Him at the judgment hall, beaten, bound, reviled, arraigned;
O the wormwood and the gall! O the pangs His soul sustained!
Shun not suffering, shame, or loss; learn of Christ to bear the cross.

Calvary’s mournful mountain climb; there, adoring at His feet,
Mark that miracle of time, God’s own sacrifice complete.
“It is finished!” hear Him cry; learn of Jesus Christ to die.

Early hasten to the tomb where they laid His breathless clay;
All is solitude and gloom. Who has taken Him away?
Christ is risen! He meets our eyes; Savior, teach us so to rise.

Shepherd of Souls, Refresh and Bless (Montgomery, for the Lord’s Supper)

Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless Thy chosen pilgrim flock
With manna in the wilderness, with water from the rock.

Hungry and thirsty, faint and weak, as Thou when here below,
Our souls the joys celestial seek which from Thy sorrows flow.

We would not live by bread alone, but by Thy Word of grace,
In strength of which we travel on to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread, but do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread Thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine; Thy body and Thy blood,
That living bread, that heav’nly wine, be our immortal food.

According to Thy Gracious Word (Montgomery, for the Lord’s Supper)
According to Thy gracious word, in meek humility,
This will I do, my dying Lord, I will remember Thee.

Thy body, broken for my sake, my bread from Heaven shall be;
The testamental cup I take, and thus remember Thee.

Gethsemane can I forget? or there Thy conflict see,
Thine agony, and bloody sweat, and not remember Thee?

When to the cross I turn mine eyes, and rest on Calvary,
O Lamb of God, my sacrifice, I must remember Thee;

Remember Thee, and all Thy pains and all Thy love to me;
Yea, while a breath, a pulse remains, will I remember Thee.

And when these failing lips grow dumb and mind and memory flee,
When Thou shalt in Thy kingdom come, Jesus, remember me.

O Bless the Lord, My Soul (Montgomery, based on Psalm 103)

O bless the Lord, my soul! His grace to thee proclaim!
And all that is within me join to bless His holy Name!

O bless the Lord, my soul! His mercies bear in mind!
Forget not all His benefits! The Lord to thee is kind.

He will not always chide; He will with patience wait;
His wrath is ever slow to rise, and ready to abate.

He pardons all thy sins; prolongs thy feeble breath;
He healeth thine infirmities, and ransoms thee from death.

He clothes thee with His love; upholds thee with His truth;
And like the eagle He renews the vigor of thy youth.

Then bless His holy Name, whose grace hath made thee whole,
Whose lovingkindness crowns thy days! O bless the Lord, my soul!

O Spirit of the Living God (Montgomery)

O Spirit of the living God, in all Thy plenitude of grace,
Where’er the foot of man hath trod, descend on our apostate race.

Give tongues of fire and hearts of love to preach the reconciling Word,
Give power and unction from above, whene’er the joyful sound is heard.

Be darkness, at Thy coming, light; confusion, order in Thy path;
Souls without strength inspire with might; bid mercy triumph over wrath.

O Spirit of the Lord, prepare all the round earth her God to meet;
Breathe Thou abroad like morning air, till hearts of stone begin to beat.

Baptize the nations; far and nigh; the triumphs of the cross record;
The Name of Jesus glorify, till every kindred call Him Lord.

God from eternity hath willed all flesh shall His salvation see:
So be the Father’s love fulfilled, the Savior’s sufferings crowned through Thee.

Hail to the Lord’s Anointed (Montgomery, based on Psalm 72; three verses deleted)

Hail to the Lord’s anointed, great David’s greater Son!
Hail in the time appointed, His reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression, to set the captive free;
To take away transgression and rule in equity.

He comes in succor speedy to those who suffer wrong;
To help the poor and needy, and bid the weak be strong;
To give them songs for sighing, their darkness turn to light,
Whose souls, condemned and dying, were precious in His sight.

He shall come down like showers upon the fruitful earth;
Love, joy, and hope, like flowers, spring in His path to birth.
Before Him, on the mountains, shall peace, the herald, go,
And righteousness, in fountains, from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before Him, and gold and incense bring;
All nations shall adore Him, His praise all people sing;
For Him shall prayer unceasing and daily vows ascend;
His kingdom still increasing, a kingdom without end:

O’er every foe victorious, He on His throne shall rest;
From age to age more glorious, all blessing and all blest.
The tide of time shall never His covenant remove;
His Name shall stand forever, His Name to us is Love.

Jesus, My Savior, Look on Me (Elliott)

Jesus, my Savior, look on me, for I am weary and oppressed;
I come to cast myself on Thee: Thou art my Rest.

Look down on me, for I am weak; I feel the toilsome journey’s length;
Thine aid omnipotent I seek: Thou art my Strength.

I am bewildered on my way, dark and tempestuous is the night;
O send Thou forth some cheering ray: Thou art my Light.

I hear the storms around me rise, but when I dread th’impending shock,
My spirit to the Refuge flies: Thou art my Rock.

When Satan flings his fiery darts, I look to Thee; my terrors cease;
Thy cross a hiding place imparts: Thou art my Peace.

Standing alone on Jordan’s brink, in that tremendous latest strife,
Thou will not suffer me to sink: Thou art my Life.

Thou wilt my every want supply, e’en to the end, whate’er befall;
Through life, in death, eternally: Thou art my All.

O Holy Savior, Friend Unseen (Elliott)

O holy Savior, Friend unseen, the faint, the weak on Thee may lean,
Help me, throughout life’s varying scene, by faith to cling to Thee.

Blessed with this fellowship divine, take what Thou wilt, I’ll ne’er repine;
E’en as the branches to the vine, my soul would cling to Thee.

Far from her home, fatigued, oppressed, here she has found her place of rest
An exile still, yet not unblest, while she can cling to Thee.

What though the world deceitful prove, and earthly friends and joys remove,
With patient, uncomplaining love still would I cling to Thee.

Though faith and hope may long be tried, I ask not, need not aught beside;
How safe, how calm, how satisfied, the souls that cling to Thee!

Blessed is my lot, whate’er befall; what can disturb me, who appall,
While as my Strength, my Rock, my All, Savior, I cling to Thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment